Re: XFS filesystem corruption

To: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem corruption
From: Julien FERRERO <jferrero06@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:16:31 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=7LBgWZE+ZvCtBx46uj4A+ctqRSSBTjQUs7Ozo4s7lTg=; b=Ew6Vo1HF6t5kpPtqqrAffAgU7OjBUc893mdIvbPO8spz3qAwrf+zYUoSco+4CIJtts 8oTopi24cU+JdF0TZOfMpQ45gU06GxQZb2uVR7MO88z+Mbt2OpvI47ZWWd6QYDRymmHf vMB0HMcdajSD3hMJlEApqBtXIU0pRAIlwA4CAQf2n3TkYLcaF0Grgyo2QdH+s028HLRU ijziIayC6KtxpEj9kgEcAAuKLLfNFiOX0FHNgQpwe1KqrHmY+45dyHzh6RY1CgzgBKSP gsQziClFTxCsReDaMgC6fqQWOLw9BeH0x2wkBgviRDuJZQTKQs4QBwqrsbPFJwWJh5Z8 AggQ==
Hi Emmanuel

2013/3/6 Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Le Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:08:59 +0100 vous écriviez:
>
>> I am totally stuck and I really don't know how to duplicate the
>> corruption. I only know that units are used to be power cycle by
>> operator while the fs is still mounted (no proper shutdown / reboot).
>> My guess is the fs journal shall handle this case and avoid such
>> corruption.
>
> Wrong guess. It may work or not, depending upon a long list of
> parameters, but basically not turning it off properly is asking for
> problems and corruptions. The problem will be tragically aggravated if
> your hardware RAID doesn't have a battery backed-up cache.

OK but our server is 95% of the time reading data and 5% of the time
writing data. We have a case of a server that did not write anything
at the time of failure (and during all the uptime session). Moreover,
failure occurs to files that were opened in read-only or weren't
accessed at all at the time of failure. I don't think the H/W RAID is
the issue since we have the same corruption with other setup without
H/W RAID.

Does the "ls" output with "???" looks like a fs corruption ?