Re: XFS filesystem corruption

To: Julien FERRERO <jferrero06@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem corruption
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:15:19 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:08:59 +0100 vous Ãcriviez:

> I am totally stuck and I really don't know how to duplicate the
> corruption. I only know that units are used to be power cycle by
> operator while the fs is still mounted (no proper shutdown / reboot).
> My guess is the fs journal shall handle this case and avoid such
> corruption.

Wrong guess. It may work or not, depending upon a long list of
parameters, but basically not turning it off properly is asking for
problems and corruptions. The problem will be tragically aggravated if
your hardware RAID doesn't have a battery backed-up cache.