dozens of xfsaild threads

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: dozens of xfsaild threads
From: Erik Knight <kutuzof@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:04:17 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=WK78oUFGliawGE9VpTP9Clj4XNoCXFIj4JXWE0sc4Gk=; b=SPYM5aT5bnM7nl52CqEtYzGURlPagBBdUAtVXFoxBy2UXJKS+0XZVI8vYGC1K3oOJD yTb1KwPWiqEoRz2J2kds9qFso6L8uSPNvZWlGEZp03KdO+uWGrEYjjgmzF6kXd5ZmAAD FO8wetWpcOcN86Qvigh8e0T+oPqbN7s2zXRbypCQVRWgGC7YstmnDudZ6qKzO/S4N1Gt jwe+gVpkpweAYmvTCOKZB8O4PtuYP997Lh63zHruqtRr8/0wcpJAWNWm9LY+NlKz0+nP YyioNPiOI38ocAxri3TpduWP/UVLiBgZnQ2d8JJX3WlpsqJ8pd3Eii8YO1ezP+hwcE4v TSRw==
Hi there,

We've recently noticed that our system is experiencing extreme performance problems when running large workloads. The problem seems to come from excessive System CPU time. Specifically dozens of xfsaild threads. We used to have SSD drives but recently switched to HDD, so some of us are thinking that there may be a configuration issue within XFS that is optimized for SSD but performs terribly slow on HDD.

Can anyone explain what these threads do, what would cause so many of them to be running simultaneously or consume so much CPU?

Thanks,
Erik