Re: hole punching performance

To: Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hole punching performance
From: "Bradley C. Kuszmaul" <kuszmaul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:36:27 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type; bh=+i91A6LvA01zV3rr2+Ouh/i0MDzI8YJYUwDn6gQ+h18=; b=uKgGPeI2c2vZFzvzvvAVsg0L1nUV6CUdrZfgvYj24Y4oxUlqKOPKubHsHAgl2NeWlu XLqEMGItdP09GV7BMHzkCX4ug38OhrOR3FOAd6z8c31nA7vXiI6nWXtnfQq4nhJD0u4k j+YPUynhmB0ApL2FvbmHUZ/5bduZqMLHU6Zhee1Ah2WK0PqV+rsh2LUZT3zYyYRoNUTP Anesd68L0UVWoRoT7tnVc8su8wMYRZ0MSOTKHZJEdj6ef/uHj2MCvZUg+Y0pmDMt3uGz cxuNj47F5BhscN5hLxS4eonDTI13QxQdCOBhi6FvtaQRa9e1IQT7V2FLtE3H8iJvNfW/ jXSA==
Where can I read about extents and xfs?

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Bradley C. Kuszmaul:

> The question I have:  What will happen to the performance of other
> threads doing read() and write() operations?  Will hole-punching slow
> down the other read() and write() operations running in other threads?

Assuming that hole-punching creates extents (not sure if it does, you
can check with filefrag or other tools), you might experience a
slowdown during open(), when the entire list of extents is read from
disk.

I once was a heavy Berkeley DB user and had files with dozens of
gigabytes containing hundreds of thousands of extents, and open()
times in the order of minutes were not unusual with a cold cache and
other concurrent read activities from the same RAID device.  But these
files grew over time—perhaps hole punching results in better locality
of the extent data, so that reading it doesn't take so much time in
your case.