hole punching performance

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: hole punching performance
From: "Bradley C. Kuszmaul" <kuszmaul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:51:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=oa6I7Q5c7LNqVDsUTze9OHBGMwbl8NmgE0mAMaQ5vP0=; b=nDdIrNHFc8hFdcDTDO7hyZ+L5reMqntCxrwsGvrPXTMJp3m6ROSMaRPyBLIu+Y5r9v RoK48LG8wzjGuF2CnJP3busCASOueEJ+o6AgkG4CSfK6yhyDFCT8w6jiFRM8qJPW67a9 IG3HJ0rGEIWgq1iz6bRoat2UFIFJAhKeXZN9RYtWBaMggmslTDrhrIJ7l2WfT8z2+TOW 8dP0a85QFg+l+EOHdvYYBLFTFZ6WQxW91sygetpDWFFDa/yszo1+0kqDnL1f0qhN+AcT im5xgCP7GWqepl5vzivFUD/Jf1Y+hUatuV71Xy42dqJAQwnDZ61pCRPdD/U/0Da5Fezl nZzQ==
If I use hole-punching, what will happen to the performance of my application?

I have a multithreaded application that creates large files (many
gigabytes per file).  The application sometimes wants to punch holes
(say 1 megabyte in size).

On Redhat 6, I've measured that punching holes requires about 2ms
(this with a battery-backed up RAID controller), which is slower than
I was hoping for, but it's probably OK.  The throughput is only about
2ms per hole-punch even if I have lots of threads punching holes in
lots of different files at the same time.

The question I have:  What will happen to the performance of other
threads doing read() and write() operations?  Will hole-punching slow
down the other read() and write() operations running in other threads?

I'm willing to do some measurements, but I'm not sure what I should be
watching out for, so if you can educate me about it, I'd appreciate
it.

-Bradley