Re: Ask for XFS recovery on filesystem

To: Fangzhenyu <fangzhenyu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ask for XFS recovery on filesystem
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:16:39 -0600
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 12/27/12 10:03 PM, Fangzhenyu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>       Hopefully someone can help me out. J
>
>       The machine use XFS filesystem,Linux kernel is 2.6.37,and capacity of
> hard disk is 500GB.
>
>       Power off the system directly without umount, then power on it. If now
> the hard disk has several hundred files or the system has been run a long
> time, the system start will last more than several seconds,for example:
>
>       [12-27 09:48:43]Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sda1 (logdev:
> internal)
>
>       [12-27 09:49:18]Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: sda1 (logdev:
> internal)

so log replay took ~30s.  is that bad?

>       Worse, the system will stop at the Starting XFS recovery, no Ending XFS
> recovery,so it can't work.

But you show "Ending XFS recovery" above, so I don't understand.  It seems to
have completed just fine.

>       So, Can you tell me something about why stop at Starting XFS recovery.
> And what item affect the recovery time??

The log geometry is one thing which could affect the max time to perform log
recovery.  Maybe you could provide xfs_info output.

So far I see no real problem here; your fs replayed the log, and it took 30s to
do so.  That might be a little longer than I'd expect, but I have no other
details to work with.

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

-Eric