Re: XFS write cache flush policy

To: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS write cache flush policy
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 12:01:41 +1100
Cc: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lin Li <sdeber@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 08:53:04PM +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> On 08.12.2012 20:40, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012, 20:29:27 schrieb Matthias Schniedermeyer:
> > > I have the same problem, several times.
> >
> > I'd like to chime in here, with a similar issue: I have Linux on my
> > desktop, xfs is the home partition, 16G RAM. One day my system froze, no
> > chance to do a buffer flush via SYS-S/U/B, I had to press the reset
> > button (no power off, just reset). Upon restart, *lots* of files were
> > gone, destroyed, etc, and my KDE desktop wouldn't work anymore. Luckily
> > I have backups, and could restore - but this just shouldn't happen, and
> > it was *much* better with older kernels. What is the problem that
> > metadata isn't written to disk occasionally? I was on 3.6.6 when that
> > happened, now on 3.6.8, so very recent.
>
> Now that you say it, this is what happend one of the other times,
> luckily i had done a backup just before i rebooted, so after
> xfs_repair'ing the partition (the only time i had to repair something
> for as long as i'm using XFS) i had to restore my home-directory from
> backup to get my desktop in a usable state again.

So the hard lockup caused your filesystem to be corrupted, and after
you ran repair lots of files were missing?

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

People, please be precise about what happened when reporting
problems. Random "me too" posts with ambiguous information in
them does not help solve problems.

Cheers,

Dave.
--