Re: XFS write cache flush policy

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS write cache flush policy
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 20:53:04 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Lin Li <sdeber@xxxxxxxxx>
On 08.12.2012 20:40, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012, 20:29:27 schrieb Matthias Schniedermeyer:
> > I have the same problem, several times.
>
> I'd like to chime in here, with a similar issue: I have Linux on my
> desktop, xfs is the home partition, 16G RAM. One day my system froze, no
> chance to do a buffer flush via SYS-S/U/B, I had to press the reset
> button (no power off, just reset). Upon restart, *lots* of files were
> gone, destroyed, etc, and my KDE desktop wouldn't work anymore. Luckily
> I have backups, and could restore - but this just shouldn't happen, and
> it was *much* better with older kernels. What is the problem that
> metadata isn't written to disk occasionally? I was on 3.6.6 when that
> happened, now on 3.6.8, so very recent.

Now that you say it, this is what happend one of the other times,
luckily i had done a backup just before i rebooted, so after
xfs_repair'ing the partition (the only time i had to repair something
for as long as i'm using XFS) i had to restore my home-directory from
backup to get my desktop in a usable state again.

--

Matthias