Re: [3.0-stable PATCH 00/36] Proposed 3.0-stable bug patches

To: Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [3.0-stable PATCH 00/36] Proposed 3.0-stable bug patches
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 07:06:56 -0500
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Tinguely <tinguely@xxxxxxx>, stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 03:15:36PM -0600, Ben Myers wrote:

> > > Do you mean?
> > >
> > >   http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-09/msg00002.html
> > >
> > > I read that message as a concern that your original Linux 3.0-stable
> > > patch series contained some items that did not meet the -stable
> > > criteria.
> >
> > I read it as "why change something that no-one is reporting bugs
> > for?".
>
> I guess we could all stop putting words in his mouth and let him speak for
> himself.  Christoph (cc'd), would you please clarify your position?

Well, both of the above applies.  A lot of the patches are defintively
above the normal -stable criteria.  If we have a reall good reason we
might be able to bend the criteria, but I'd really love to see
justificaton for that, preferably in form of user reports of grave
issues.

> Stable folk (cc'd Greg), what is your disposition with regard to proposing
> patches for -stable proactively?  Do we really need to have a bug report from
> 3.0-stable user for every bug we propose for 3.0-stable?

I don't think we'll need any report for things that are

 a) obvious lingering big problems

and have

 b) non-invasive fixes

occasionally just one of the criteria should be enough.