Re: status of userspace release

To: Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: status of userspace release
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:27:08 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 04:57:41PM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:15:01AM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:
> > We're working toward a userspace release this month.  There are several
> > patches
> > that need to go in first, including backing out the xfsdump format version
> > bump
> > from Eric, fixes for the makefiles from Mike, and the Polish language update
> > for xfsdump from Jakub.  If anyone knows of something else we need, now is
> > the
> > time to flame about it.  I will take a look around for other important
> > patches
> > too.
> >
> > This time I'm going to tag an -rc1 (probably later today or tomorrow).
> > We'll
> > give everyone a few working days to do a final test and/or pipe up if we
> > have
> > missed something important.  Then if all goes well we'll cut the release
> > next
> > Tuesday.
>
> I've tagged -rc1 for the upcoming releases of dmapi, xfsprogs, and xfsdump.
> If
> we missed something important now is the time to speak up.
>
> Currently there are two items of which I'm aware:
>
> 1) the Polish (and German) translations of xfsdump are not working.  I'll
> start
> a separate thread for that issue.
>
> 2) Christoph has pointed out this patch series:
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-05/msg00323.html
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-10/msg00541.html

I agree with christoph - the kernel side intptr/uintptr stuff that
Jan did needs to go into the kernel first, and then brought to
libxfs via a kernel code sync.  A kernel code resync needs to be
done immediately after the xfsprogs release so that usrspace is
using the same base code for the CRC work, so splitting them to
before/after the relases makes sense IMO....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner