possible memory allocation deadlock in xfs_buf_allocate_memory

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: possible memory allocation deadlock in xfs_buf_allocate_memory
From: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:13:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

since Linux 3.5 I'm seeing these "inconsistent lock state" lockdep
warnings [0]. They show up in 3.6 as well [1]. I was being told[2] that I
may have run out of inode attributes. This may well be the case, but I
cannot reformat the disk right now and will have to live with that warning
a while longer.

I got the warning again today, but 8h later the system hung and eventually
shutdown. The last message from the box was received via netconsole:

 XFS: possible memory allocation deadlock in xfs_buf_allocate_memory
(mode:0x250)

This has been reported[3] for 3.2.1, but when the message was printed I
was not around and could not watch /proc/slabinfo.

The last -MARK- message (some kind of heartbeat message from syslog,
printing "MARK" every 5min) has been received 07:55 local time, the
netconsole message above was received 08:09, so two -MARK- messages were
lost. sar(1) stopped recording at 08:05.

These two incidents (the lockdep warning and the final lockup) may be
unrelated (and timestamp-wise, they seem to be), but I thought I'd
better report it.

Full dmesg and .config: http://nerdbynature.de/bits/3.6.0/xfs/

Thanks,
Christian.