umount doesn't seem to really unmount

To: Linux fs XFS <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: umount doesn't seem to really unmount
From: Stefan Ring <stefanrin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:32:01 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=ADkD6ieoMiDxT4jZmNXIy22WZBJJ5r3YFBtyruvRqI0=; b=FDVjSnbTSNh2dU3RMphwcl/K959CA3HsOSK+jC1Ld8w4Uk8CMKokTekZDGLGuIW44x sHuSNl/6mNh4tgoQmFQytgiWZqQ9ewRAiYEANk+xsGPwpLq5kE57Ln4Jm1qEBUH0NQHl naHlnvAIzEDDp+47VdZP4B6Rb6bxRoMKc7WWj7Wy+fADzCACt6Et8Lme5OjnrCTrYbNo zjHywqscUmw7zQ4lx6OM08BYyEgL8OoFwQSnqZbSf+kQkqJ9GNU3zQnQC3rY5YpXIdx2 Dbx5kKutjxskCdvyrIjoVzzY1EE1Zev5J+PvJPtjvI/c+dp4Gb0w00NP16JChsT+J36l 7dew==
Today I had some data loss with an XFS filesystem, apparently because
it does not write everything to disk during unmount. Yesterday, I shut
down my machine for the night. My XFS lives on an iSCSI volume which I
shut down shortly, but not instantly, after unmounting the XFS
filesystem. There has been no noticable disk activity after the
umount. Today, some recently written files all had size zero.
Additional indicators that something is amiss is, that during startup,
when mounting the XFS filesystem, it would often claim that it has
done log recovery, which should not be the case if it had been
unmounted correctly. Also, when I just mount and unmount the
filesystem repeatedly, I would at least expect "ending clean mount"
messages in dmesg, like I get on CentOS 6. Not so on my system.

This is with kernel 3.5.2-3.fc17 from Fedora. Is there a known problem?