Re: Test 272 fails for ext3

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Test 272 fails for ext3
From: Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 23:06:38 +0200
Cc: Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, dmonakhov@xxxxxxxxxx, linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon 20-08-12 18:22:12, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Fri 17-08-12 08:48:58, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:37:57AM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> > >   Hello,
> > >
> > >   I was looking into why test 272 from xfstests fails for ext3 and the
> > > reason is that ext3 does not support direct IO to file with enabled data
> > > journalling (open returns EINVAL because ->direct_IO callback is not
> > > specified). So I was thinking how to accomodate this fact in the test -
> > > the best I found was to just check using xfs_io whether O_DIRECT open
> > > succeeds and perform the test only in that case. Attached patch does this
> > > or do people have other ideas?
> >

> > # ext3 doesn't support direct IO in journalling mode
> > ext3_write_opt_list="iflag=noatime conv=notrunc conv=fsync"
> > ext4_write_opt_list="iflag=noatime conv=notrunc conv=fsync oflag=direct"
> >
> > if [ $FSTYP = "ext3" ]; then
> >     write_opt_list="$ext3_write_opt_list"
> > else
> >     write_opt_list="$ext4_write_opt_list"
> > fi
>   Yeah, this is probably simpler. Thanks for suggestion. BTW, ext4 also
> does not support direct IO and data journalling but it silently falls back
> to buffered IO. Anyway new patch is attached.
  Hum, after testing this I realized why I did the things the original way.
The test writes a message with title for each test so when direct IO tests
are skipped outputs don't match.

After some thought I decided to change the test to output titles only to
full output and keep compared output (almost) empty. Result is attached.

                                                                Honza