Re: howto keep xfs directory searches fast for a long time

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: howto keep xfs directory searches fast for a long time
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:59:30 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/14/2012 4:16 AM, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 09:56:23 schrieb Dave Chinner:
>> [locate]
>> Use the right tool for the job....
>
> That tool just isn't available for people accessing the files - they are
> (should I say "of course"?) accessing from a box like Windows or with a
> Media Player, either way nothing that's anywhere near a command line.

All the media players have playlist and index features.  So there's
little need for searching an entire Samba share is there?

Maybe you need to further explain exactly how users interact with these
thousands of media files from Windows/etc clients.

Surely there is a freeware Linux program to index such media files to a
database, and present them in a sorted web interface, or a web interface
that does the 'searching'.

What you apparently require is not something that can be addressed or
optimized by filesystem or kernel tweaks.  As Dave pointed out with the
'locate' example in a CLI, this kind of thing is precisely what
databases were designed for.

--
Stan