Re: howto keep xfs directory searches fast for a long time

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: howto keep xfs directory searches fast for a long time
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:20:45 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Peter Grandi <pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 8/13/2012 11:44 AM, Michael Monnerie wrote:

> http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_I_want_to_tune_my_XFS_filesystems_for_.3Csomething.3E
>
> CFQ seems bad, but there's no documented way out of that. I've edited
> that, and added a short vm.vfs_cache_pressure description. Please
> someone recheck.

The XFS FAQ isn't an appropriate place for that tuning suggestion,
because it doesn't tune XFS.  vm.vfs_cache_pressure tunes the page cache
and is file system agnostic.  Thus you should remove that entry from the
FAQ.  Perhaps a blog entry would be more appropriate, or a post to LKML,
so it gets archived.  However, this is likely already posted somewhere,
as you can't be the first to run into this issue.

--
Stan