Re: wiki spam

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: wiki spam
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:02:15 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:53:14AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> We're back up to about a 3:1 ratio of spam to content on the wiki.
>>
>> Constantly weeding it out is a poor use of our time... where are we at with
>> this, have we required an account to create pages, at least?
> I suspect Russell isn't reading the xfs list to actively any more.
>
> Russell, any chance to disabllow posting for users that don't have an
> account on the wiki?
Ok I updated mediawiki to 1.19 so that the ConfirmUser extension wold work.

All accounts must be approved by a sysop before they are active.
Hopefully I can just reject the obvious spam accounts.

There was some 1500 accounts on the system most of them with no edit's
so I just deleted those.

There is a bunch of spam accounts with 1 or 2 posts these should be deleted
with the mergeuser extension but that is a bit more time consuming.

Please let me know if the upgrade has caused any problems.

-Russell