Re: Delay in folder access

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Delay in folder access
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 05:28:01 -0500
On 7/23/2012 1:29 AM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I have an XFS partition on simple 4-disk RAID-10 array.  The array is
> mounted at /raid.  I have a variety of subfolders - one of which is
> /raid/data - which in turn has a number of subfolders.
>
> Doing a simple "ls /raid" has no problems.  Similarly, no issues with
> "ls /raid/data/stuff".  But ... executing "ls /raid/data" results in a
> delay, sometimes in minutes, before it returns.

How many files are in /raid/data, excluding subdirs?  If it's many tens
of thousands ls will be slow, but I'd not think multiple minutes worth
of slow.

Please post output of 'df /raid'

Likewise, 'xfs_db -c frag /dev/[device] -r'

device being that upon which the XFS resides.

> I don't see any errors in dmesg or syslog.  Does this indicate a pending
> crash?

Probably not.  It probably indicates a very full and fragmented filesystem.

> Also, I do have a ".fsr" folder under /raid.  All the folders listed,
> which appear empty, are dated 11/1/2010.  Is it safe to delete ".fsr"?

That may be related to xfs_fsr.  I've never seen such a file and I use
xfs_fsr regularly.  I'd wait for one of the devs to respond here before
deleting it.

--
Stan