Use whole disk

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Use whole disk
From: Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 07:50:49 +0000 (UTC)
Hi all

I hope this is the right place to ask this:

I wanted to use a 2 TB disk (as mythtv recordings drive) with the xfs
filesystem. Until now I had jfs but I wanted to switch it.

Since I have two drives of the same type I formatted the new drive with
xfs and copied the recordings onto it. Today I saw that I created the
filesystem over the disk instead of the partition:

~# mkfs.xfs /dev/sdk

These are my two disks:

/dev/sdi1      jfs    1.9T  1.9T  3.9G 100% /mnt/recordings
/dev/sdk       xfs    1.9T  1.9T  3.3G 100% /mnt/recordings_temp

Is it ok to use the disk instead of the partition or why do I have to
create the filesystem on a partition?

Best regards
Ramon