Re: mkfs.xfs states log stripe unit is too large

To: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mkfs.xfs states log stripe unit is too large
From: Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:03:47 +0200
On 2012-06-24 15:05, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

The the log stripe unit mismatch error is a direct result of Ingo
manually choosing a rather large chunk size for his two stripe spindle
md array, yielding a 1MB stripe, and using an internal log with it.
Maybe there is a good reason for this, but I'm going to challenge it.

To cite man mdadm:

       -c, --chunk=
              Specify chunk size of kibibytes.  The  default  when
              creating an array is 512KB.  To ensure compatibility
              with earlier versions, the default when Building and
              array  with no persistent metadata is 64KB.  This is
              only meaningful for RAID0, RAID4, RAID5, RAID6,  and
              RAID10.

So, actually there's a mismatch with the default of mdadm an mkfs.xfs. Maybe it's worthwhile to think of raising the log stripe maximum size to at least 512 kiB? I don't know what implications this could have, though...

--
Ciao...          //    Fon: 0381-2744150
.     Ingo     \X/     http://blog.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.