Re: [regression] stack overflow in xfs_buf_iodone_callbacks

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [regression] stack overflow in xfs_buf_iodone_callbacks
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:24:14 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:34:09PM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:18:03PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I just had a stack overflow in the delayed write buffer error
> > handling with a shut down filesystem:
>
> I've looked at this a bit more, and it seems the effect really can't
> be an XFS shutdown.  We never do the shutdown check inside
> xfs_buf_iorequest.  The issue obviously is real, but could it be that
> you had an actual persistent I/O error on the underlying device?

It may have been - I didn't catch the initial cause of the problem
in my log because it hard-hung the VM and it wasn't in the
scrollback buffer on the console. All I saw was a corruption error,
a shutdown and the stack blowing up.

Still, I think there is a real problem here - any persistent device
error on IO submission can cause this problem to occur....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner