Re: Recommendation on XFS Filesystem Creation, Lefthand P4500, iSCSI ?

To: Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <svavar@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Recommendation on XFS Filesystem Creation, Lefthand P4500, iSCSI ?
From: Mike Grant <mggr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:17:11 +0100
Cc: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Svavar,

On 06/19/2012 11:13 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson wrote:
We recently purchased HP Lefthand 4500 G2 24TB iSCSI SAN Box.
The Box is configured in RAID6. (and yes, we are going to expand that with
another boxes in near future).
I need to create a 7TB volume at the start, and grow it in near future.

We have a couple of NAS servers (just direct disk connection, not iSCSI) with XFS filesystems up to ~30TB, but didn't do anything special for those (just defaults on everything, iirc).

The only problem we had was with filesystems bigger than that, where we get kernel crashes due to XFS overflowing the stack. Apparently this may be worse if you NFS-share XFS layered over LVM (more stuff on the stack, I guess), but I imagine you'd be fine with 7TB.

Cheers,

Mike.

<hr />
Plymouth Marine Laboratory<br />
Registered Office: <br />
Prospect Place<br />
The Hoe<br />
Plymouth  PL1 3DH

href="http://www.pml.ac.uk";>www.pml.ac.uk</a>
the latest PML Annual Review</a>
Registered Charity No. 1091222<br />
PML is a company limited by guarantee<br />
registered in England & Wales<br />
company number 4178503</font></p>

print.</font></p>

<hr />

confidential.</font></p>

copy, disclose it to any third party or use the contents or attachments in any way. Please notify the sender by replying to
this e-mail or e-mail forinfo@xxxxxxxxx and then delete the email without making any copies or using it in any other
way.</font></p>

are not the views of Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically stated.</font></p>

and may contain viruses. Plymouth Marine Laboratory accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by
viruses.</font></p>

<hr />