Re: How to recover data from an xfs partition

To: Niccolò Belli <darkbasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to recover data from an xfs partition
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:46:30 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/18/12 10:01 AM, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Il 18/05/2012 16:31, Ben Myers ha scritto:
>> I recommend you give it a shot with the latest xfsprogs.  However, it may be
>> that your filesystem has been corrupted beyond repair.
>
> I succeeded recovering something with xfsprogs 3.1.8, but no more than 1GB of
> data (~5%).
>
> Fortunately I managed to save some precious config files, considering I had a
> 6 months old backup the disaster is a bit less catastrophic.
>
> I had a bad time replacing corrupted data from the other ten ext4 virtual
> machines, but they didn't give me too much troubles compared to xfs. How
> ironic that the data loss happened during the installation of the backup
> system...
>
> To be honest I don't know if I will use xfs anymore, unfortunately I need
> per-directory quota and it is the only viable solution.

You're welcome to follow your heart on choice of filesystem of course, but
without knowing what happened to your storage, it's a little bit of a stretch
to blame xfs.

Just based on:

> xfs_check: /dev/loop51 is not a valid XFS filesystem (unexpected SB magic
> number 0xeb639010)

it appears that something scribbled all over your storage (i.e. the file
backing it - what was that stored on?)  What it was that did the scribbling,
and how much it scribbled is unknown, and it may or may not have been more
significant than whatever hit your ext4 partitions.

I do not think you encountered an xfs bug; something else severely damaged your
block device.

-Eric