Re: badly destroyed XFS (on LVM) - how to repair?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: badly destroyed XFS (on LVM) - how to repair?
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 03:13:18 +0200
Am Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 10:12:30 schrieb Eric Sandeen:
> Anything in dmesg?

No, nothing. Not for lvm, not for xfs.

> You have to mdrestore the metadump before you can point repair it it,
> so that's not a valid operation.  No

Ah, silly me. Right, will try.

> Considering that the problem began when the block device got
> repartitioned etc, I don't see how this can be an XFS problem...

The problem is that xfs_repair does not at all complain, but when I
mount it nothing is correct. I cannot even get those data which is at
least displayed normally. xfs_repair doesn't find a problem - that's the
problem.

All data should be there. As I understand it, partitioning a disk writes
to the partition table (sector 0?), the partition created should have
started at sector 63 or 2048, and the "mkswap" will have written only a
very small amount too. I guess that a very bad block has been hit, but
is really everything lost now?

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc