Re: suddenly slow writes on XFS Filesystem

To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: suddenly slow writes on XFS Filesystem
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 10:45:52 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 5/6/2012 5:33 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 6. Mai 2012 schrieb Stefan Priebe:
>> It is a raid 10 of 20 SATA Disks and i can only write to them with
>> about  700kb/s while doing random i/o. I tried vanilla Kernel 3.0.30
>> and 3.3.4 - no difference. Writing to another partition on another xfs
>> array works fine.
>
> Additionally what RAID is this? SoftRAID or some - which one? - hardware
> RAID controller? And what disks are used, whats the rpm of these?

I doubt much of this stuff matters.  Stefan's filesystem is 96% full,
w/~200GB free.  This free space is likely heavily fragmented.  If he's
doing allocation in this fragmented free space I'd think that would
fully explain his write performance dropping off a cliff due to massive
head seeking.

--
Stan