Re: xfs_check segfault / xfs_repair I/O error

To: Drew Wareham <m3rlin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_check segfault / xfs_repair I/O error
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:06:31 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/15/12 8:15 AM, Drew Wareham wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Hopefully this is the correct kind of information to send to this list.
>
> I have an issue with a large XFS volume (17TB) that mounts, but is not
> readable.  I can view the folder structure on the volume but I can't access
> any of the actual data.  A disk failed in a RAID5 array and while it has
> rebuilt now, it looks like it's caused serious data integrity issues.
>
> Here is the CentOS release / Kernel version:
>     [root@svr608 ~]# uname -a
>     Linux svr608 2.6.18-308.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 04:16:51 EST 2012 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>     [root@svr608 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
>     CentOS release 5.8 (Final)
>     [root@svr608 ~]# cat /tmp/yum.list | grep xfs | grep installed
>     kmod-xfs.x86_64                            0.4-2
> installed

You reall, Really, REALLY, *REALLY* want to remove kmod-xfs.

RHEL5 has been shipping with supported xfs for what, 2 years now, and that old
kmod-xfs
is an ancient, ancient piece of unmaintained, bitrotting code.  Sadly it
overrides
the kernel rpm's xfs.ko.  I don't know if this is the root cause of your
problem; probably
not, but eventually it will likely be the root cause of some other problem :)

-Eric