Re: XFS restored to lost and found

To: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS restored to lost and found
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:21:27 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:30:07PM -0700, Nick Hollingsworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I've managed to corrupt an XFS files system running on software
> RAID. How exactly I'm not sure....it may have been when using CentOS
> rescue when trying to get the system to boot.
>
> Using xfs_repair with various options I've managed to get the FS to
> a state where it'll mount but there are no directories only inode
> numbers in the lost and found directory.

Sounds like the root directory got corrupted/overwritten by
something and so the entire directory heirarchy got moved into
lost+found.  The inode numbers are used because the names are held
in the directory blocks and they couldn't be found.

> Is there any way to remap these back to directories?

You'll need to examine the contents of every directory and file in
lost+found to work out where they cames from. if you are lucky,
it'll only be the root directory entries that are in lost_found and
the rest of the directories heirarchy will still be intact....

> Any ideas how I may have gotten into this mess?

No. It's too late to try an diagnose now, too.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner