[RFC] Add XFS support in SYSLINUX

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RFC] Add XFS support in SYSLINUX
From: CHEN Baozi <baozich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 22:27:53 +0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:subject:date:message-id :to:mime-version:x-mailer; bh=+2W8OHXQRK9j+ThY60V1VIjjhLz2aAF7RSq2JfUdNxQ=; b=bBwZ0FTW+QNst+kgsIQh20lCc68M7TKEz1l1z8hpm7ltetXr2jHtAArG1R0xECQTGF wspQCY+wYJSYvgRL0QZmDjx+ZSGybOyRw4IhO9GvE+OUS/0I3gzF3ob1kUdnhNT/4nOy wxEBeO5O2QHIDcNIb/5BwZv9yhntH7YM0V/3eMNJS3NGMeSdneHKH9C372z+iTcuOr+B eV3MEPiwKG7edhfYyvYbGgmAjT1UZx8CCkJ+kWHN6cTKFKVQ0akDPBZCBdrWl6pUvn3/ P+B41Uaxj2yvXhXYP2R2ZcqYKcC8+BSWbRSYJW2RMTXEElH5pYzgYBAl1LTopAWDgwWk 0SdQ==
Hi all,

I'm a student applying for this year's GSoC and planning to add XFS support to
the syslinux bootloader. I did some research on the syslinux's implementation,
and have a rough idea.

XFS starts its superblock from the first bytes of partition, where syslinux
would install its boot codes(in the first 512 bytes). Currently, we have two
approach to handle that. One is to follow the GRUB that put its codes in the
first few bytes immediately following the MBR and before the first partition's
first sector. However, this approach breaks some designing rules of syslinux,
so it won't be accepted. The other one that we are now considering is to use
the remaining 2048 bytes left in XFS's first block. But I'm not sure that this
area is reserved for some new features in the future.

Any comment?

Regards,
Chen Baozi