Re: [GIT PULL] XFS update for 3.4-rc1

To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] XFS update for 3.4-rc1
From: Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:06:52 -0500
Cc: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Linus,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 01:59:22PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >   Please pull from git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus
>
> "Already up-to-date."
>
> I'd assume you forgot to push, but in fact all the things you quote
> there seem to have been in 3.3 already. So the whole pull request
> seems stale.
>
> Wazzup?

PEBKAC mostly.

xfs/master contains scalability improvements for dquots, log grant code
cleanups, plus bugfixes and cleanups large and small.

Unfortunately the stuff in:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs master

Conflicts with the stuff in:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus

I've resolved the conflict here:  git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs for-linus-merged

I would like to figure out how to
1) send important bugfixes upstream after rc1, and
2) not hold up development commits to xfs/master, while
3) avoiding conflicts like this.

Our old strategy was to hold off on development commits for awhile after
rc1, and I would like to avoid that.  It occured to me that
fast-forwarding xfs/master immediately to an important bugfix once it
has been pulled in to your tree might accomplish this, but clearly I
didn't get that figured out.

Thanks,
Ben