20 wakeups/second/mounted filesystem in xfsaild

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 20 wakeups/second/mounted filesystem in xfsaild
From: "Dhivael i-Khial t'Jahlei" <dhivael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:44:03 +0100
Hello,

i recently switched from ext4 to XFS on some systems. Much to my
surprise, XFS produces quite a lot of wakeups in kernel 3.2.9.

On every mounted filesystem, the associated xfsaild will wake up 20
times per second, when the filesystem is sufficiently loaded, it will
never wake up. The filesystems are mounted with defaults, I'm seeing the
problem on virtual IDE drives in virtual machines and SSD < dmcrypt <
LVM < XFS stacks.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I seeing expected behaviour in XFS?

 -- Sean