xfstests - unchecked mount failures

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfstests - unchecked mount failures
From: David Sterba <dave@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:28:28 +0100
Hi,

I've encountered a bad situation when a failed mount in test 269 did not stop
the test and continued to use the mount point and exhausted space on the root
partition. A quick grep revealed that there are more tests with unchecked
_scratch_mount calls.

The underlying problem with failed mount was observed when the mount comes in a
quick sequence after mount, I saw it with btrfs, and don't know if it affects
other filesystems.

So, either all callers should check the return value or _scratch_mount
calls _fail. I'd go for the latter as it will make it more resilient
against unintentional ommision of checking the retval in new tests and
reviewer does not have keep that in mind.

david