Re: Warning from unlock_new_inode

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Warning from unlock_new_inode
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:53:51 +1100
Cc: Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 03:34:44AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:01:37PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> >   Hello,
> >
> >   while running fsstress on XFS partition with 3.3-rc4 kernel + my freeze
> > fixes (they do not touch anything relevant AFAICT) I've got the following
> > warning:
>
> That's stressing including freezes or without?  Do you have a better
> description of te workload?
>
> Either way it's an odd one, I can't see any obvious way how this would
> happen.

FWIW, I'm trying to track down exactly the same warning on a RHEL6.2
kernel being triggered by NFS filehandle lookup. The problem is
being being reproduced reliably by a well known NFS benchmark, but
this gives more a bit more information on where a race condition in
the inode lookup may exist.

That is, the only common element here in these two lookup paths is
that they are the only two calls to xfs_iget() with
XFS_IGET_UNTRUSTED set in the flags. I doubt this is a coincidence.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner