Re: mount: Structure needs cleaning

To: MikeJeezy <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mount: Structure needs cleaning
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:48:13 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 07:11:58PM -0800, MikeJeezy wrote:

> >The only reason for running xfs-repair -L is if you cannot mount the
> >filesystem to replay the log. i.e. on a shutdown like this, the
> >usual process is:
>
> Right, when I tried to mount the volume it said "Structure needs cleaning"

OK, so you've done the right thing. I always like to check first ;)

> >You can only find out by looking at what the output of xfs_repair
> >told you about trashing inodes/directories.
>
> Is this only output to the screen or to a log somewhere?

Only to stdout.

> > On 02/26/2012 11:07am, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >Are those other VMs using XFS filesystems?
>
> What kernel version are you running?
>
> 2.6.18-274.18.1.el5

If you are running RHEL, you should really report problems through
the support channel.

> >Does your SAN array have battery backed write cache?
>
> This one does not currently, but I have ordered BBWC for it.
>
> >Are the individual drive caches in the underlying array disabled?
>
> Write cache: enabled

There's your problem. You should read all the relevant sections on
write caches in the XFS FAQ. e.g:

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q._Which_settings_does_my_RAID_controller_need_.3F

Cheers,

Dave.