Re: xfsrestore will create orphanage directory when use -t

To: Bill Kendall <wkendall@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsrestore will create orphanage directory when use -t
From: Tommy Wu <wu.tommy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:22:41 +0800
Cc: xfs <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2012/2/18 Bill Kendall <wkendall@xxxxxxx>:
> On 02/14/2012 11:21 AM, Tommy Wu wrote:
>>
>> from the xfsdump man page:
>> xfsrestore also generates a directory named orphanage in the dest
>> directory. xfsrestore removes this directory after completing a simple
>> restore. However, if orphanage is not empty, it is not removed. This
>> can happen if files present on the dump media are not referenced by
>> any of the restored directories. The orphanage has an entry for each
>> such file. The entry name is the file's original inode number, a ".",
>> and the file's generation count modulo 4096 (only the lower 12 bits of
>> the generation count are used).
>>
>> and the -t option from xfsdump man page:
>> Displays the contents of the dump, but does not create or modify any
>> files or directories. It may be desirable to set the verbosity level
>> to silent when using this option.
>>
>> But when we use -t option with xfsrestore, it still create orphanage
>> directory in current directory (because no dest directory assign).
>> and if it's not empty, it is not removed.
>>
>> This is a bug or it's a feature?
>

> I can see code where this would happen, except that it would appear
> to require both -r and -t to be used, and xfsrestore doesn't allow
> that.
>
> If you send the command line you used I can take another look.
>
> Bill

here is the command I used for -t:
cat var.xfsdump.gz | gzip -dqv | xfsrestore -v silent -p 300 -J -t - |
grep "^xfsrestore:"

I also test it with only -t option, it also create orphanage folder
for such dump file (not all dump file has this issue)
cat var.xfsdump.gz | gzip -dqv | xfsrestore -t - | grep "^xfsrestore:"

--

Tommy Wu