Re: XFS unlink still slow on 3.1.9 kernel ?

To: Richard Ems <richard.ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS unlink still slow on 3.1.9 kernel ?
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:10:34 -0600
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 2/14/2012 7:02 AM, Richard Ems wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> I was not subscribed to the list so I did not get your mail. I

Ahh, my bad.  I should have done a reply-all.  I sometimes forget XFS is
an open list.

> subscribed now, but apparently and admin has to aprove the subscription
> since I am not getting any confirmation email. so this will take some time.
>
>> On 2/13/2012 10:57 AM, Richard Ems wrote:
>>> The case is connected through SCSI.
>>
>> Do you mean iSCSI?  Does the host on which you're running your "find
>> dir" command have a 1GbE or 10GbE connection to the InforTrend unit?
>> More than one connection using bonding or multipath?  Direct connected
>> or through a switch(es)?  What brand is the switch(es)?  Switch(es)
>> under heavy load?
>
> NO. SCSI. Not iSCSI. No switches, it's direct attached through a LSI
> SCSI Controller:

Ok so it's obviously not a host bandwidth or latency issue then.  I was
just trying to cover the all the bases with my hardware questions.

Also I didn't realize anyone was (still?) offering parallel SCSI host
connections on their SATA arrays.

> lspci shows:
>
> LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI

PCI-X?  So this host and array have a few years on them I assume.

>> Also check the performance data in the management interface on the
>> InforTrend unit to see if you're hitting any limits there (if it has
>> such a feature).  RAID6 is numerically intensive and that particular
>> controller may not have the ASIC horsepower to keep up with the IOPS
>> workload you're throwing at it.
>
> There is no performance data in the management interface to check.

Ok, so this is a relatively basic, entry level array?

--
Stan