Re: XFS unlink still slow on 3.1.9 kernel ?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS unlink still slow on 3.1.9 kernel ?
From: Richard Ems <richard.ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:02:01 +0100
Followup-to: 4F39F1CB.3060806@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Stan,

I was not subscribed to the list so I did not get your mail. I
subscribed now, but apparently and admin has to aprove the subscription
since I am not getting any confirmation email. so this will take some time.

> On 2/13/2012 10:57 AM, Richard Ems wrote:
>> The case is connected through SCSI.
>
> Do you mean iSCSI?  Does the host on which you're running your "find
> dir" command have a 1GbE or 10GbE connection to the InforTrend unit?
> More than one connection using bonding or multipath?  Direct connected
> or through a switch(es)?  What brand is the switch(es)?  Switch(es)
> under heavy load?

NO. SCSI. Not iSCSI. No switches, it's direct attached through a LSI
SCSI Controller:

lspci shows:

LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI

> If it's a single direct 1GbE connection it's possible you're running out
> of host pipe bandwidth which is only ~100MB/s in each direction.  Check
> iotop/iostat while running your command to see if you're peaking the
> interface with either read or write bytes.  If either are at or above
> 100MB/s then your host pipe is full, thus this is a significant part of
> your high run time problem.

This does not apply, or?

> Also check the performance data in the management interface on the
> InforTrend unit to see if you're hitting any limits there (if it has
> such a feature).  RAID6 is numerically intensive and that particular
> controller may not have the ASIC horsepower to keep up with the IOPS
> workload you're throwing at it.

There is no performance data in the management interface to check.

> Lastly, please paste the exact command or script you refer to as "find
> dir" which is generating the workload in question.

See previous answers to the list. You will see all commands there.

Thanks,
Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx