Re: Disk spin down

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Disk spin down
From: Andy Bennett <andyjpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:15:11 +0000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> Seems to me that something is still dirtying an inode regularly.
>
> Perhaps you need to look at the XFS and writeback event traces to
> find out what process is dirtying the inode. trace-cmd is your
> friend...

Something like this?

-----
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/xfs/enable

echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/xfs/enable

more /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace
-----

I tried recreating the situation of the last 2 days (clean boot, stopped
services) and it's currently quiescing nicely. :-(

I'll keep an eye on it and try to catch it in the act but every time I
turn the tracing on the HDD light stays firmly off. :-(

Regards,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx