Re: sparsify - utility to punch out blocks of 0s in a file

To: Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: sparsify - utility to punch out blocks of 0s in a file
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 18:23:02 +0100
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron Yorston <rmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 05.02.2012 09:55, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> > Matthias' suggestion of adding SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA makes very good sense
> > too.
> I thought about this, but if SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA (or FIEMAP) worked, then the
> file would already be sparse, so I don't think that will help in this case...

With that argumentation you wouldn't need the tool in the first place.

"How can a bunch of zeros be in a file in the first place?"
"Can only be because of the deficiency of another program."

And who is to say that you wouldn't want to repeat such a thing from
time to time, without SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATE you MAY crunch through big
regions of zeros for no gain at all.

Bis denn