Re: help with deciphering kernel dmesg

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: help with deciphering kernel dmesg
From: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:57:20 -0800
On 2012-01-25, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the xfs_info output would be really handy for determining what path
> through the directory code XFS was taking whenteh crash occurred.

No problem, here it is.  The device is an LVM volume.  Unfortunately
I've mounted and umounted the drive a few times since the reboot, so I
don't know how helpful this will actually be.  I can attempt to repeat
the symptoms then try an xfs_info before attempting anything else.  (I
ended up killing the xfs_repair -n to get this sooner, so I still do
not have any information from that.  So far it's on phase 4, which is
taking a very long time; I think the reshape is stealing IO cycles,
which it's not really supposed to.  It hasn't reported any errors so
far.)

meta-data=/dev/XXXXXXXX isize=256    agcount=57, agsize=61034784 blks
         =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=3417949184, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=1
         =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

> I'd be worried about those IO errors - i don't think that they were
> the cause of the oops, but it implies that the underlying device is
> bad in some way. That may have something to do with the reshape in
> progress which make me worry that the reshape is actually keeping
> your data safe....

Yes, that was my worry as well.  Fortunately this is a backup that can
be recreated, but I'd hate to lose my primary store then find out the
backup is hosed.

> As it is, the kernel crashed reading a directory buffer. It's hard
> to say what went wrong - can you take the kernel image and run:
>
> $ gdb <path/to/kernel>
> (gdb) l *(xfs_da_do_buf+0x43e)
>
> And post the output so we can see what line number in the code the
> crash occurred at? That might provide a bit more of a clue to what
> the problem is.

Does my kernel need debugging symbols compiled in?  Because my kernel
doesn't seem to want to cooperate with gdb:

# gdb /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-4.el5.elrepo
GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.0.1-37.el5_7.1)
[snip]
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-4.el5.elrepo": not in executable format: File format not
recognized
(gdb) l *(xfs_da_do_buf+0x43e)
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.

My compiling skills are generally confined to ./configure;make;make
install, so I'm not sure where to go next.  If debugging is needed to be
compiled into the kernel, that may be problematic--it looks like ELrepo
doesn't provide the same kernel with debug options, so I'd have to build
one myself to get that.  (Wow, I haven't built a kernel in over five
years!)

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx