Re: Optimal XFS formatting options?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Optimal XFS formatting options?
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:52:09 +0100
On Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> So to be clear, your issue with the above isn't with my partition
> alignment math WRT the OP's P2000 array, but is with using XFS stripe
> alignment in general, correct?

Yes. I just wanted to document this as people often expand RAIDs and
forget to apply the changes to stripe width.

> There is one really simple way around this issue you describe: don't
> add drives to an existing array.  Simply create another array with
> new disks, create a new aligned XFS on the array, and mount the
> filesystem in an appropriate location.  There is no 11th Commandment
> stating one must have a single massive XFS atop all of one's disks.
> ;)
>
> There is little to no application software today that can't be
> configured to store its data files across multiple directories.  So
> there's no need to box oneself into the corner you describe above.

It's a management burden to do that. I've learned that systems usually
are strictly structured in their configuration, so it's often better to
extend a RAID and to keep the config, as this is cheaper in the end. At
least for the salaries of good admins here in Europe ;-)

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531