Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] xfstests: what do we need to do to make it b

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] xfstests: what do we need to do to make it better?
From: Alex Elder <elder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:18:11 -0600
Cc: lsf-pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed; d=dreamhost.com; h= message-id:subject:from:reply-to:to:cc:date:in-reply-to :references:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version; s=dreamhost.com; bh=/m+Ummya5X7Uk3VcPteuBSWoPJ8=; b=TymkClSv0HF 1AtzYqTHLnyn+8FlM6Keu82R2D8atJtgigoqvIAz3/gtltVrL2WDSkMV5eLiKs2i tPfoAJqldYg+TENEjOju8tEjiW26HJ4b1iA1ZG6sOCgjYeNPf6za+mol/rCFCBTJ 0r+BwDgWPEN2TbegGOt3A+8JMef8E9mg=
On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 10:44 +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Given that more people are using xfstests and developing tests, we
> need to consider how to make it friendlier to hack on. The current
> structure of the tree is difficult to work with, the way tests are
> organised and numbered make it difficult to co-ordinate new tests
> and results in patch conflicts, etc.

Coordination of numbers is not a big deal, the test names/numbers
can be easily fixed up at commit time.  I also thought that the
numbers--though meaningless on their own--also avoided having to
decide where a particular test belongs.  I.e., a test that exercises
several categories of things (maybe preallocation, quota, and ENOSPC)
won't be hidden in any sort of "enospc" test directory.

I do think the growing number of tests is making it a bit unwieldy
though, so I think some sort of reorganization is a good plan.

> We also see problems arising from people not really understanding how
> the xfstests harness is designed and how it really is supposed to
> work, so an overview of the underlying principles of operation would
> probably be helpful to a lot of people. It will also save
> review and rework time if we can avoid having people make the same
> mistakes the first time they submit tests....

This is very important.  And the gist of it ought to be
captured somewhere if it is not already.

> I'd also like to discuss some potential infrastructure changes to
> make it easier to add new tests without conflicts with others
> developing new tests. Some of the ideas Christoph and I have
> previously tossed around include:
>
>       - break tests up into groups in their own subdirectories.
>         e.g. generic tests, xfs/ext4/btrfs specific tests, stress
>         tests, performance tests, large FS tests, etc
>       - change the way we define groups of tests so we don't have
>         a single registry of tests and their groups
>       - allow different naming of tests, such as desciptive text
>         names rather than just plain numbers
>       - allow duplicate test names in different groups

Despite what I said above, I don't disagree with any of this.
Perhaps the tests can be buried in one or more subdirectories,
but each FSTYP defines its own groups file to drive testing.

> I'm sure that other users of xfstests will have some ideas on how to
> improve it for the way they run it, so I'd like to gather and
> incorporate these ideas into any structural change we make to
> xfstests.

Should be a good discussion.  It might be useful to have a
proposal or two to work with as a starting point, or maybe
an outline of the types of changes (naming, directory
structure, etc.), to help keep things focused.

                                        -Alex