Re: XFS: attempt to access beyond end of device

To: Amit Sahrawat <amit.sahrawat83@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS: attempt to access beyond end of device
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:04:33 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 07:18:15PM +0530, Amit Sahrawat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While trying to open a file with a large number of extents in append
> mode – it resulted in the below error logs continually.
> I was trying to open the file in append mode, but it showed error, so
> I checked for the extents – it has around 2238 extents. Although, it

The first question you have to get to the bottom of is if there are
only 2238 extents in the file, why is the xfs_bmap output showing
more than that?

> is not repetitive, when I try on next mount and write – it is working
> fine at times.
> Also, the system does not seem to be corrupted. Since, running
> xfs_repair after umount does not show any errors.

Which implies memory corruption. Have you turned on memory poisoning
and the memory leak detection to see if it detects any problems?

What about running with CONFIG_XFS_DEBUG=y? Does that trip any
problems sooner than the corruption is detected?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner