xfsdump

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfsdump
From: William Moss <bill.m.moss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:22:44 -0500
Since approx. kernel 2.6.35 (kernel.org) I have been having a problem with xfsdump(8) with my custom compiled kernels but not with the one that comes with openSUSE. During a differential dump (1..9) it will lock up, become a kernel stuck process that cannot be killed, while determining the files that need to be dumped. This has not occurred with dump level zero nor with the kernel as supplied from openSUSE. I have played with the kernel options that seem relevant to xfs (a find for xfs as well as ACPI, etc.) and nothing seems to effect the problem. Other than this, everything works fine and the kernel has better performance and support in the areas that I compile it for with respect to my hardware. I was hoping that you could inform me as to what options for the kernel might cause this problem. Note that a reboot or even an 'init 0 --- init 3' will clear the problem for at least one more differential dump.

openSUSE: 11.4
CPU : AMD 64 AM2 socket
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Drives: SATA/3 Boot is a 650GB WD, /usr/local is a 1.5TB WD

Kernel: 3.1.4
I compile the kernel with the AMD64 optimization turned on.

Thank you!