Re: sync() in 2.6.38.5

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sync() in 2.6.38.5
From: Joe Landman <landman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:33:40 -0500
On 11/29/2011 02:17 PM, Paul Anderson wrote:
Hi all,

2.6.38.5 (x64 intel, in todays case a 40TiByte SAN volume) appears to
have a bug whereby not all active metadata will be flushed even on a
quiescent machine (one that has nonetheless in the past been under
very high load).

We have tried several variations of clean shutdowns, combined with for
example the "echo 3>/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" trick to no avail - we
still get lost files (well, 0 length files).

We have several big servers scheduled to go down shortly, and I was
wondering if there are other ideas besides just coping all recent data
to another server.

Set your vm dirty time to small values. 1 second (100 centiseconds) or so, among other things. You can also force the mount to be synchronous (kills performance though).

Try

        mount -o remount,sync /mountpoint
        # not sure if this works with xfs though ...

        sysctl -w vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=100
        sysctl -w vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=100
        sysctl -w vm.dirty_ratio=1

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D