Re: stale NFS file handle problem on XFS inode64

To: hank peng <pengxihan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: stale NFS file handle problem on XFS inode64
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:04:59 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 09:00:57PM +0800, hank peng wrote:
> Hi:
> I have a 4TB XFS filesystem mounted with "inode64" option, and I
> exported it using NFS v3, on NFS client, I entered a subdirectory and
> got "stale NFS file handle" error.
> ls -il showed that its inode number exceed 32 bit limit.
> NFS server: kernel version is 2.6.35.6
> NFS client: kernel version is 2.6.18

Do you export the root directory of the XFS filesystem, or a
subdirectory in it?  If it's the former it should work in theory,
althrough I'm not sure how well 64-bit inode numbers work with a client
that old, if it's the latter it needs a few tweaks to work, see

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_NFS-exporting_subdirectories_of_inode64-mounted_filesystem_work.3F

for details.