Re: xfs_repair v3.1.6 - Segmentation fault AND XFS internal error xfs_bt

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair v3.1.6 - Segmentation fault AND XFS internal error xfs_btree_check_sblock
From: Richard Ems <richard.ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:58:59 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/18/2011 12:52 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> A corrupt inode allocation btree - not a particularly common type of
> corruption to be reported. Do you know what caused the errors to
> start being reported? A crash, a bad disk, a raid rebuild, something
> else?  That information always helps us understand how badly damaged
> the filesystem might be....

We had a hard disc failure on an Areca 1680 RAID controller, RAID 6. I
checked the firmware and the last available version is already installed.

> And I'd guess that is failing on a different problem - a corrupt
> inode most likely. You've build xfs-repair from the source code -
> can yo urun it under gdb so we can see where it is dying?

I already run it under gdb and sent some mails to Christoph Hellwig. He
found an *issue* in the xfsprogs/repair/attr_repair.c code and sent me a
patch that fixed it. Now "xfs_repair -n -P /dev/sdb1" runs without
errors. But before repairing the XFS I have to rsync as much as I can
from this XFS to another one which is still not available. So it will
take a couple of days before I can run xfs_repair on the XFS.

> That sounds like there's a *lot* of damage to the filesystem. That
> makes it even more important that we understand what caused the
> damage in the first place....

Yes, lots of damage. 8(

Thanks for your help,
Richard