Need Assistance on using xattr

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Need Assistance on using xattr
From: Parag Amritkar <paragamritkar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:38:15 +0530
i,We r working on inherent encryption decryption in kernel,nw we r stucked upon where to store key of encryption. Can we store it in xattr of that file ? Will it be secure? Please reply as early as possible. This is our Project Abstract->

Abstract:

In today's world securing file data is very important. The proposed Secure File System (SecFS), we will be providing file data security using cryptographic techniques in a transparent and convenient way. The proposed SecFS pushes encryption services into the Linux kernel space, mounting it between the virtual file system layer and underlying file system. After SecFS is integrated with the Linux operating system (OS), it enables OS to provide file data security as its inherent functionality. SecFS requires that the user creates a directory and name it with the prefix 'ecrypt' to store the encrypted file data, such as ecryptdir. Any directory on the system with the prefix 'ecrypt' will basically tells the system that the newly created directory will contain encrypted data. All files destined to be saved on this directory will be transparently encrypted on the fly without any user intervention. SecFS will be fully compatible with all underlying storage file systems.

Please reply soon.

   Yours Sincerely
  Parag S. Amritkar