Re: preparing a new xfsprogs release?

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: preparing a new xfsprogs release?
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 02:23:16 -0400
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 04:19:59PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 01:08:28AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > We have the libxfs resync and a healthy amount of fixes in xfsprogs,
> > what about cutting a release in about 1-2 weeks from now?
>
> Probably a good idea.
>
> Once it is release, I'll look at doing another kernel code sync -
> this one will be a lot smaller than the last - and then we can start
> adding all the new stuff we've got on top of it...

I have a few things that I want to do to make syncs easier in the
future:

 - stop using the plain xfs.h include in userland, and use the same
   includes as in kernel space.  This might require some new stub
   headers and magic #include_next games in userland, but should really
   ease our life there.
 - split files only partially shared between kernel and userspace and
   logical boundaries so that they can be shared 1:1.  My poster child
   for that would be to split a xfs_busy_extent.c out of xfs_alloc.c.

But let's get this release out before starting major surgery.