Re: xfs_repair 3.1.4/3.1.5: fatal error -- couldn't malloc dir2 buffer d

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair 3.1.4/3.1.5: fatal error -- couldn't malloc dir2 buffer data
From: Marc Lehmann <schmorp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 19:54:28 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 12:12:41AM +1000, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > this is 3.1.5 - 3.1.4 simply segfaults. using ltrace shows this as
> > last call to malloc:
> >
> >    malloc(18446744073708732928)                                  = NULL
> >
> > I think thats a bit unreasonable of xfs_repair :)
>
> Can you share a metadump of the image in question?

I can, but unfortunately, it's fixed itself in the meantime:

I wanted to make a copy of the image, and mounted it read-write. I stat'ed
all files inside (which worked) and then rsynced all files out.

Then I unmounmted it and re-ran xfs_repair
(http://ue.tst.eu/3cbc07150eb6b69c63361937c6c3044f.txt) which got much
farther, but failed with the same error.

Then I re-ran xfs_repair one last time, which ran through without any "error"
messages.

An xfs_metadata -o is here (gzipped):
http://data.plan9.de/smoker-chroot.bin.gz

      ----==-- _       generation