1 Gb Ethernet based HPC storage deployment plan

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 1 Gb Ethernet based HPC storage deployment plan
From: Lee Eric <openlinuxsource@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:03:33 +0800
Hi all,

I got 20 nodes cluster(1 Gb Ethernet connected) and gonna build a
small storage system with it. Because of the low budget I'm thinking
to use 1 Gb Ethernet as physical layer for the storage part. Here's
what I planed.

There 8 SATA hard drivers so I wanna use AoE or iSCSI to export the
block devices to the master node over Ethernet. Then the master node
will use NFS to export block devices to compute nodes. The upper layer
file system I will use XFS.

I know it would be better if I can use Lustre but my interconnection
is a little slow. I suspect if it is feasible if using such parallel
file system.

Does anyone has good idea on this deployment?

Thanks very much.

Eric