Re: Recovering XFS Partition of Type FAT16

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Recovering XFS Partition of Type FAT16
From: Volkan YAZICI <volkan.yazici@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 14:32:37 +0300
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 10:23:55AM +0000, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
>> I have an XFS partition, which is
>>
>> 1) Mistakenly quick formatted as FAT16.
>> 2) At first, I couldn't see in "fdisk -l" that it is set to FAT16,
>> instead of Linux. Hence, tried to fix it with xfs_recover. xfs_recover
>> returned 0, and mount operation succeeded; but mounted fs size
>> appeared as 20GB (despite it is 350GB) and almost every file was
>> missing.
>> 3) Later, I set the type of /dev/sda1 (the only partition in /dev/sda)
>> to Linux, re-run xfs_recover, but nothing changed: Same fs size (20GB)
>> and same missing files.
>
> What is this xfs_recover tool you speak of? I've never heard of it,
> I can't find any direct links to it in google (only forum posts from
> years ago about how great it is) so I have no idea what you've done to
> your filesystem...

Sorry, I was writing that mail from a friend's computer, and
mistakenly typed xfs_recover, instead of xfs_repair.

> That looks like a newly made 20GB XFS filesystem, not the result of
> repairing a 350GB filesystem...

Since I formatted it as FAT16 first, it truncated the fs to 20GB. Then
calling xfs_repair caused the whole XFS partition appear as of size
20GB.

> If I were you, I'd be restoring from backups. You do have backups,
> right?

I cannot understand why people are so tempted to ask this question. If
I would have such a backup, do you think I still would be bugging you?
But to answer your question, yes, I had a backup, but it suffered from
a hardware failure just 2 days before the actual disk.

Regards.